Part 1 (Exploring) covers the major financial players, concepts and instruments. Part 2 (Jamming) explores innovative forms of financial activism, from disrupting investment into fossil fuels to building your own hedge funds of dissent. Part 3 (Building) showcases the growing alternative finance movement - including peer-to-peer systems, alternative currencies, and co-operative economies - and shows how you can get involved in building a democratic financial system. It's published by the fantastic Pluto Press, and you can order below.
WHAT MY ENDORSERS ARE SAYING
"This book provides a unique inside-out look at our financial system, based on the author's unusual personal adventure. It not only provides us with a user-friendly guide to the complex maze of modern finance but also tells us how to utilise and subvert it for social purposes in innovative ways. Smart and street-smart."
Ha-Joon Chang, University of Cambridge, author of 23 Things They Don't Tell You About Capitalism
"This is an imaginative, even exuberant exploration of the daunting world of finance - it will unleash a generation of activists, and do a world of good."
Bill McKibben, author of Deep Economy, and founder of 350.org
Tony Greenham, Head of Finance and Business at The New Economics Foundation
HOW TO ORDER
- Order directly from my publishers Pluto Press (US & Australia sites too)
- If you're in the UK, and want to order from an indy bookstore, here's Hive, or LocalBookShops, or WordPower. Also check out Guardian Bookstore.
- If you're in the US, and want to order from an indy bookstore, check out Indiebound
- Amazon: UK, USA, Canada, Germany, Italy, Spain, France, India
- In South Africa: Loot and Kalahari
- Australia/NZ: A&R, Booktopia, Palgrave McMillan, Bookworld, MightyApe (NZ)
- Sweden: Bokus
- Ebooks: See Pluto Press site, or check your local Nook, Kobo or Kindle store
Get a signed copy by paying with an alternative currency!
- If you'd like to pay-by-text using Brixton Pounds let me know (my contact details are found in the right hand panel) and I'll give you my Brixon Pound ID
- If you'd like to pay using Bitcoin, click on the little bitcoin icon below
- If you'd like to propose another alternative currency you'd like to pay with, I'll consider barter proposals, community currencies, other crypto-currencies (e.g. Litecoin), timebanking credits, and goodness knows what else.
PLEASE DO SHARE!
Pluto Press is a bold independent publisher that's prepared to stand up against the mainstream, but that also means that getting mainstream press attention is comparatively hard for us. Please do share the book with your networks if you feel the book is providing a positive contribution to the world! If you'd like to tweet about the book, here is a tweet you can retweet. You can also check out the Facebook page for photos, updates and much more...
COMMENTS FROM READERS
You can check out some of the Amazon UK reviews here, and here are a selection on tweets from people who've read the book. Please do send your own thoughts too!
Just finished @Suitpossum excellent 'Heretic's guide to global finance' full of inspiration, pragmatism & shit stirring.
— - - - - - - (@Spritecut) November 10, 2013
Abbie Hoffman gave us Steal This Book; @suitpossum gives us The Heretic's Guide to Global Finance. Read them both. http://t.co/CmUx7n4rwp
— Michael Liebreich (@MLiebreich) June 3, 2013
@Suitpossum A Guide to Guerilla Finance analogous to the anti-war and civil-rights equivalents of the '60s. http://t.co/W6DuOOxr6j Hark!
— Confounded Interest! (@pbaril) May 22, 2013
Just finished @Suitpossum's superb and inspiring book. Check it out everyone. Guidebook and manifesto rolled into one. #futurehack
— Joe Kloska (@josklos) August 3, 2013
Really inspiring book from @Suitpossum - has certainly given me a couple of career ideas. pic.twitter.com/RtkE7mp7JN
— Jamie Pett (@JamiePett) September 12, 2013